In one of my previous posts, I went over the details why I moved my blog from WordPress to Jekyll. So far, I really appreciate my new system, but I miss one particular feature: searching through my posts.

Since Jekyll is a static site generator and does not rely on a database for the posts, you can’t simply add a search functionality like WordPress does. So, I have to work with some frontend / clientside stuff.

After doing some research, I stumbled across lunr.js, a JavaScript-based text search library to use on the client side.

I decided to give lunr a try and went on to add a search box to my main page. You can now see this in the very bottom of the screen. The is constructed as follows:

<form action="/search.html" method="get">
  <label for="search_box">Search Posts</label>
  <input type="text" id="search_box" name="query">
  <input type="submit" value="search">
</form>

When clicking the search-button, the user will be redirected to the search.html file. This site lists all matches and a search box containing the entered values. The search page consists of my regular header and footer. Also, of course, it contains a script which fetches all matching posts. It then lists all matches inside an unordered list. Of course, all scripts and pages are also located in this Blogs GitHub Repository, feel free to check it out!